Bone density tests are easy and painless, and take only 15 minutes or so. You simply lie on a cushioned bed while a mechanical arm passes over your body.
We use Dual-energy Absorptiometry, or DXA, to safely and accurately measure your bone strength, vulnerability to fractures and risk for osteoporosis. The test targets your lower spine and hips—the two areas most susceptible to breakage.
Our team will review the results with you and discuss your need for any treatment—including changes in diet, exercise and medications.
If you answer yes to more than a few of these questions, you should consider getting a bone density test.
- Are you 50 years or older?
- Are you postmenopausal? Or have you had an early or surgically induced menopause?
- Are you Caucasian or Asian?
- Are you petite and thin?
- Do you have a family history of osteoporosis?
- Do you have a history of broken bones that were not trauma related?
- Do you smoke cigarettes?
- Are you a heavy drinker? (more than two drinks several times a week)
- Have you taken steroids or thyroid medication for six months or more?
- Do you have chronic kidney problems?
- Have you taken immunosuppressive medications or chemotherapy?
- Are you a couch potato?
Bone density testing is offered at our Mechanicsville and Short Pump locations.